GEO 12: International Year of the Cooperative
The United Nations has declared 2012 to be the "International Year of the Cooperative." This issue of GEO explores the significance of this declaration, ways that it connects with broader cooperative movement strategies, and other dimensions of building a stronger global cooperative/solidarity economy movement.
- Introduction: The International Year of the Cooperative by Ajowa Nzinga Ifateyo and Christina Clamp (GEO)
2012: Year of the Cooperative
- The Power of Cooperation
- 2012 – Not Business As Usual by Charles Gould (International Co-Operative Alliance)
- International Year of the Cooperative Inspirations by GEO Editors
- CICOPA-North America Formed by Jessica Gordon Nembhard and Jim Johnson (GEO)
Strengthening Cooperative Movements
- Creating Democratic Education Resources for Building a Democratic Economy by Brian Van Slyke and Andrew Stachiw (The Toolbox for Education and Social Action)
- Cooperative Principles and the Common Good by Michael Johnson (GEO)
- Cooperatives and Worker-Owned Enterprises as Transformative Strategies by Immanuel Ness
- Marketing Your Cooperative During IYC – What Steps Will You Take to Observe the International Year of Cooperatives? by Andrea R. Cumpston (National Cooperative Business Association)
- Will the U.S. Government Legislate Cooperative Development? by Peter Frank
- SBA Recognizes Worker Cooperatives as Small Businesses by Micha Josephy (Cooperative Fund of New England)
Global Solidarity Economies
- Italy’s Slow Revolution: A Twist on Solidarity Economics by Alberto Corbino
Activites and Resources
A weekly email newsletter connecting you with our latest issues, articles and special features. Subscribe now!
- 2: Building Regional Solidarity Economy Networks-NEW!
- 1: Expanding the Reach of Food Co-ops
- 18: The Southern Cooperative Movement
- 17: Scaling-Up the Cooperative Movement
- 16: Intentional Communities and Solidarity Economics
- 15: Advancing the Development of Worker Co-ops-ADWC 2013
- 14: The Anniversary Issue
- 13: The Frank Lindenfeld Memorial
- 12: International Year of the Cooperative
- 11: Lessons for Today from "Black Like Me"
- 10: Occupy! Connect! Create!
- 9: Collective Action: Research, Practice and Theory
- 8: Worker Cooperative Development Models
- 7: The Cooperative Advantage
- 6: Inter-cooperation is Key
- 5: Education For Economic Liberation
- 4: Land, Food, Childcare, Laundry, and a Book
- 3: Worker Cooperative Replication
- 2: Strengthening the Movement
- 1: Grassroots Democracy In Action