New 2012 Resources
Coop: Made in USA - a new book
Worker cooperatives are businesses that are owned and democratically governed by their employees. They operate in numerous industries, including childcare, commercial and residential cleaning, food service, healthcare, technology, consumer retail and services, manufacturing, wholesaling and many others. Some 300 worker co-ops throughout the U.S. provide their employees with both jobs and ownership—allowing them to directly benefit from the financial success of the business. Employee Stock Ownership Plans (ESOPs) are a more common form of worker ownership in manufacture, although they often lack the democracy inherent to co-ops.
The book "Coop-made-in-USA" takes you through the various realities of existing worker-owned and consumer cooperatives, presenting this alternative to underemployment, unemployment and the exploitation of traditional jobs showing various different examples of organizations created by people that did overcome the problems and did succeed in creating alternatives to the job exploitation that have been lasting for many decades.
The book has 64 pages, format 11x8.5 inches, and can be ordered online from the site http://tangoitalia.com/book.
NoBAWC Merchandise Catalog
The Network of Bay Area Worker Cooperatives has put out a catalog of new merchandise, including a beautiful color map of their membership and NoBaWC t-shirts and stickers. You can download the catalog here.
A weekly email newsletter connecting you with our latest issues, articles and special features. Subscribe now!
- 2: Building Regional Solidarity Economy Networks-NEW!
- 1: Expanding the Reach of Food Co-ops
- 18: The Southern Cooperative Movement
- 17: Scaling-Up the Cooperative Movement
- 16: Intentional Communities and Solidarity Economics
- 15: Advancing the Development of Worker Co-ops-ADWC 2013
- 14: The Anniversary Issue
- 13: The Frank Lindenfeld Memorial
- 12: International Year of the Cooperative
- 11: Lessons for Today from "Black Like Me"
- 10: Occupy! Connect! Create!
- 9: Collective Action: Research, Practice and Theory
- 8: Worker Cooperative Development Models
- 7: The Cooperative Advantage
- 6: Inter-cooperation is Key
- 5: Education For Economic Liberation
- 4: Land, Food, Childcare, Laundry, and a Book
- 3: Worker Cooperative Replication
- 2: Strengthening the Movement
- 1: Grassroots Democracy In Action